Oct 24, 2015

House Approves of Bill to Gut Obamacare and De-fund Planned Parenthood

              The Republican majority of the House of Representatives concluded that certain parts of Obamacare should be blocked, and to stop funding for Planned Parenthood. This bill is not set in stone, for it still can be disapproved by the Senate and vetoed by the president. The bill passed through House 240-189. This bill is not new news; Republicans have been going after the Affordable Care Act and Planned Parenthood for quite some time. What makes this bill different, however, is that it is specifically designed to make it easier to pass senate. This bill prevents a Senate filibuster and only needs 51 votes to pass instead of the usual 60 though not all 54 Republican Senators may be willing to vote for it. A few 2016 presidential candidates say even that it does not go far enough. Marc Rubio and Ted Cruz sent a letter to the House of Representatives saying that this bill “just wasn’t good.” One of the main reasons the Republicans in House passed the bill was to create a sharp opposition against Democrats for the 2016 election. This legislation would eliminate the health law’s requirements that most people who don’t have employer-provided health coverage buy individual policies and that most companies provide medical insurance. It also prevents Planned Parenthood from receiving any governmental financial support for a year. Recent word from the White House almost promises Obama’s veto.



              I do not know much about the Affordable Care Act, but from what I learned about this article I only somewhat support this bill. I do support Planned Parenthood being defunded for a year, since they have been doing some terrible stuff. My political opinion on this matter is mostly swayed by my religion and my parents. I am a Republican Catholic, so I believe that abortion, no matter what stage, is murder. I did support, however, the plenty of other services Planned Parenthood had to offer, like the social counseling. I am not surprised that it is very hard to get this bill through Senate, because Senate is very democratic.
   


              This relates to what we are talking about in class because we have been discussing what it means to be liberal and what it means to be conservative. To be liberal generally means to have more progressive views and to be conservative generally means to tend to stick towards tradition. It is clear to see why the liberal senates would not want this bill to pass because it further enforces old traditions. We also learned how different news programs have different political biases. This article was written and published by Fox News, which is an openly conservative network. This probably explains why it has gotten so much coverage.



Original Article: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/23/house-approves-bill-gutting-obamacare-cutting-planned-parenthood/

No comments:

Post a Comment